Saturday, August 05, 2006

Bats in the Belfry

Jonathan has a tendency to get so involved in his dreams sometimes that the line between dreams and reality gets blurred! So I wasn’t surprised the other night when he woke me from a sound sleep to tell me there was a Bat in the Bedroom!

“Honey, wake up, you have to go into the bathroom, ‘cos there’s a bat on the window screen”, he says. Well you can imagine the half-awake, half-terrified response he got. In case you can’t it was something like “a What - *%*&!– a Bat?” - thinks to herself ‘he’s dreaming again’ – “Are you dreaming? Are you awake?” “Of course I’m awake, there’s a bat on the screen, I have to get it out”.

So just in case there was a bat, in typical helpless female mode, I go into the bathroom and shut the door. Next thing I hear cursing from the bedroom, apparently it’s not there now! OK, at this stage I am awake enough to figure out he must have been dreaming and heard a noise, saw a shadow; a 2+2= 64 type situation, I decide. So, it’s safe to come out. “Back to bed, there’s no bat in the bedroom”. Not convinced, Jonathan has a look around and of course I do my best to convince him that if there was a bat in the room, we would know all about it. A few minutes later we are back in bed and despite the humidity & heat we realise we have pulled the duvet up around our ears - just in case!!!!!

Needless to say it wasn’t the greatest night sleep but we had a laugh about it the next day, Jonathan still protesting that he wasn’t dreaming and we decide it must have been on the outside of the screen.

That would have been the end of it, except that 2 days later (Friday night), we are sitting quietly on the couch, watching a movie and having a drink and what flies into the Living Room? You got it in one. A real live BAT. Well, remember all those stories we were told as kids about bats getting in your hair etc, I was nearly under the couch, with my hands around my head in case the minute little thing that was flying around the room dared come near me! Meanwhile Jonathan is trying to frighten it into submission by roaring at it every time it came near me.

We escaped from the Living Room and shut the doors (bat inside!). Now what? I called my Dad who couldn’t stop laughing (he had heard the story about Jonathan’s ‘dream’ 2 days before). Meantime, Great White Hunter, aka Jonathan, goes back in to the Living Room with a towel and manages to capture it. So, I fling open back door and he throws it out. Well, at least he didn’t try to squash it!
Why did I call Dad? Jonathan kept asking – well I had to share the moment with someone! Unfortunately we didn’t get a photo this time but it’s all true – next time Jonathan wakes me up from a sound sleep I may just give him the benefit of the doubt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dinner & Disc Golf

It's fun to try something new, so when Heather suggested Disc Golf after a feast of ribs, smashed potatoes, roasted cauliflower and a lo...