Thursday, September 27, 2007

40 years Service

After 40 years in the same institution, Dad was recognised yesterday as retired from Saint Mary's University.
The occasion was marked by an afternoon reception and a presentation, plus speeches, on what was described as 'possibly the best golfing day all summer.'

It was one of those times where most of the people I spoke with said things like, 'I remember you when you were . . .' or 'My, haven't you grown up'!! Yes it's been quite a few years since I saw some of them, yet some of looked strangely familiar.

Usually, these things can be rather dreary, but the quality of speeches was higher than usual; the laughs were not the customary polite ones and there were a few sharp intakes of breath as one or two retirees seemed set to bare all. But good sense & good humour prevailed and a good time was had by all!

Back to Dad&Jane's afterward for more morsels & musings. Mind you, as I had to get back to Fall River, I didn't stay too late. So, what now for the retiree? Rumour has it, shopping for a new boat is on the agenda!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dinner & Disc Golf

It's fun to try something new, so when Heather suggested Disc Golf after a feast of ribs, smashed potatoes, roasted cauliflower and a lo...