Saturday, August 07, 2010

Staycation

One of the things we like best about living is Canada is that you can take time off in the summer, stay at home and be pretty much guaranteed some good weather (so maybe not every day). So as we were back in Ireland earlier this year and hence the holiday fund is seriously depleted, we opted for a short break close to home in July (long weekend in Cape Breton) and a week off at home, a staycation!

Well, Jonathan did! DJ & I took off to NB for a few days but spent the remainder of our week of at home. We had the pleasure of the company of Cousin Deb and her girls for a couple of days post-NB. And we decided to have some fun in our own city. SO the big adventure was the Harbour Hopper. I was a little skeptical at first but really enjoyed the History lesson and the short harbour cruise - a little daunting to go from land to sea and back again in the same vehicle but it works.
Followed by lunch at Hart & Thistle, sitting outside and enjoying the fresh air, sunshine and watching the Buskers set up for the festival while DJ entertained the staff & patrons in the restaurant!

We also enjoyed a Sunday afternoon roasting (I missed a few places with the suntan lotion and yes I am still feeling a little delicate) on the Arcadia's Sun (Dad&Jane's boat),
but didn't manage to get to the Rockfest on the Commons on Saturday as we had brekkie with "Nana Kathy & Bampi" (great to see you guys) and spent the afternoon at Oakfield Park where we discussed the inferior quality of the sand (builders sand not like the Shore), paddled at the waters edge and chased a football up & down a hill. Great to see DJ getting into a 'sport' although I suspect he will be a Rugger Bugger rather than a Footie Fan ;)

It was all about Family Time at home this year - our staycation in Fall River also included Dining al Fresco (no waiter service though) and BBQing with friends/family so we did all that too. Now time to dry out, lather on the aftersun and get back to work . . . . but hey, what about that bonfire we promised ourselves? Well, it is only August so I guess we still time for that before we put away the shorts & shades.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like precious family time - those moments slip by so quickly in the "busyness" on everyday life. Next year I hope you'll all come to our cottage - we are there in August as it is shared with my brother in law and his family (July). I rent it out but save a week or two for our own family so I will be in touch. If I forget, remind me! Really!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carla. We would love to visit you guys. And I will - really!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staycations should really be called Imagications ... it's just about using some imagination where you already live. Go DJ!

    ReplyDelete

Dinner & Disc Golf

It's fun to try something new, so when Heather suggested Disc Golf after a feast of ribs, smashed potatoes, roasted cauliflower and a lo...